Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Canary Islands

Canary Islands: Day 1

 

We walked off the ship out into the beautiful morning in Santa Cruz. Making out way out of the port, we got lost in a bit of construction. Trying to find the market, we enlisted the help of an old Spanish couple who graciously showed us where to go. We were expecting the Spanish flea market to be a small area of vendors set up. Instead, it was huge expanding 3-4 city blocks and selling everything from clothing to jewelry to old records and CDs to having your hair braided. We spent hours exploring and shopping before heading back to the ship for lunch and laying out to tan with a magnificent view of the mountains and the ocean.

 

Later that night all 6 girls crowded into our small room to get ready for the night. This would be our first actual night out as a group where we had more than 1 drink for dinner in honor of Lauren Snyder’s birthday. We made our way out to the ‘boardwalk’ with the only bars and cafés open on Sunday. After a few drinks, we made our way to the club where we spent hours dancing.

 

Somewhere in the crowd of people, someone dropped glass. Our group was irritated as we were full of alcohol and standing in a pile of glass. We looked down to find a pool of blood on the floor, that’s when I realized the glass broke on my foot when it fell. We made our way out of the club leaving footprints along the way. Brit, Jenna, and Dacotah (who were getting water at the café down the road) saw us coming out of the club and quickly made their way over to us.

 

As I stood bleeding on the stairs, Lauren Turosik grabbed the only thing she had to try to stop the bleeding (a piece of computer paper from her purse). We were beginning to form a crowd around us with concerned Spaniards who wanted to help but couldn’t understand English and we were too preoccupied to try to think of what we wanted to say in Spanish. The bouncer ran inside and was able to get us some napkins which we could use. Several Spanish guys (who we were avoiding inside) came outside and tried to help as well.

 

After getting the bleeding to stop, we made our way down the road to try to find a taxi. Unable to accomplish this, I sat on the sidewalk where a woman trained in first aid cleaned up my foot. I then assured the girls I was fine to walk back to the ship. On arrival, we cleaned out my foot more and sent me to bed.

 

Canary Islands: Day 2

 

I woke up with a throbbing foot…a very different feeling from the night before. The night before the girls would not let me see my foot and I could not feel what had happened, but on this morning I felt it all. I made my way up to get some WIFI and ice my foot. When meeting the other girls for lunch they relayed the events of the night before which we enjoyed a good laugh over. I met many new people (many of which were SAS students) while lying on the street the night before. We bonded over being Packer fans and other things.

 

As the group made their way out to the beach, I chose to stay back because I did not want an infected foot. I met up with the girls later to share pictures of the night before and to study. In these pictures there was a progression of the night before…….which are what is shown above.

No comments:

Post a Comment