Sunday, September 16, 2012

Day 5: Amsterdam! :)

After an extremely delayed train, Jenna and I made our way to Amsterdam where we met up with Lauren at the train station. We made our way by taxi to the South end of the city where our hotel was situated, settled into our rooms, and decided to head out for dinner.

We ended up stopping in a little restaurant where I ordered a salad with grilled tuna and a glass of Chardonnay. It was the most expensive meal I have eaten thus far and probably my least favorite (as my salad came with anchovies in it) but was overall not terrible.

From here we made our way back to Central Station where we bought tickets for a canal cruise through the city….however, due to the language barrier and a hidden sign we ended up signed up for a Lover’s Cruise. Lauren, Jenna, and I embraced the odd stares and hushed whispers of those around us and enjoyed our cruise nonetheless…...laughing inside the entire time!

The next item on our long agenda was to go visit the Red Light District…despite mine and Lauren’s apprehension. We were unsure where we were headed and decided to just walk in the general direction, weaving in and out of small streets divided by the canals. Once we arrived, there was no question in our minds that we were in the right place. CULTURE SHOCK! This is definitely something that cannot be seen in America. Red lights EVERYWHERE….girls in windows….drunk old men….tourists filing along taking in the scene….cat calls from every direction. It was not as bad as I thought. Probably one of the safest places in Amsterdam because there are people everywhere and police to be found on every corner….as long as you kept your purse tucked next to you and pockets zipped shut.

On our way out of the Red Light District, Jenna and Lauren turned one way and I was left on my own for 2 seconds before following them…in these 2 seconds the guy behind me made a lousy attempt to feel me up. I grunted/yelled and made my way out of his reach and followed Lauren and Jenna. Jenna thought I was yelling at her and being overtired she argued back with me…I screamed out, “Jenna, I wasn’t yelling at you. I was just molested!!!” At this point we all combusted with laughter because of the situation and everyone was testy.

We went back to the hotel to get ready and Jenna and Lauren bickered over a crumpled map because two guys were walking behind us and Lauren didn’t want to look like tourists. I was the composed one during this situation which was unexpected and guided the other two back to the hotel. We go ready and were on our way to find the Ice Bar. Completely lost and losing time we waved down a cab. A guy no older than me and his girlfriend who I guess was riding with him picked us up and tore through town to the bar. He drove like an idiot swerving through traffic and around buses and trams, through alleyways and around canals, almost hitting pedestrians the entire way but got us to the bar in no time. We were in tears because we were laughing so hard because of the anxiety that came with thinking we were going to die.

Ice Bar…a fun, interesting, terrible idea! After enjoying a short while outside in the “normal” bar, we were invited to put our jacket/ponchos and gloves on and head inside to the ice bar. They opened the freezer door and led us inside to the -10° Celsius freezer where we were treated to 2 free shots of vodka and a 4D show that involved sitting on animal furs on ice blocks and cold air blowing on us….all the time I was wearing moccasins with open tops…stupid idea! My feet were freezing! It was definitely an interesting experience but I don’t think I’d ever do it again….at least not without proper footwear and attire.

We walked to an ATM from here for Lauren and Jenna and I met some interesting guys who took a picture for us and then one decided to take a picture of himself and then himself with us on Jenna’s camera. (While the pictures are terrible, they are pretty funny.)

The night ended with a video chat with Mom and updating facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment