Saturday, September 29, 2012

Spain!

Spain: Day 3

I woke up today feeling sick and had one of the worst migraines…so instead of getting up I decided to go back to sleep. The rest of the morning and afternoon was filled with going out to small cafes for cappuccino, sandwiches, and WIFI. I also spent some time completing drawings for my class on the ship.

In the evening a group of about 15 of us headed out to watch some traditional Spanish Flamenco. We spent the night out watching amazing dancers and drinking Sangria. Overall, the day was laid back and relaxing which is what I needed after a very busy trip.

Spain: Day 4

Today we headed out to a typical Spanish market. These run Tuesday-Sunday (closed on Monday because there is no fresh fish because they do not work on Sundays). Here we saw how the typical Spaniard shops for much of their food and how the market runs.

We also met up with Dacotah’s extended family “Mom” and her family and friends on the way to the market. She treated us all to hot chocolate (which is like hot chocolate pudding in Spain) and churros. It was delicious. Then we stopped at a supermarket and bought snacks for the long haul on the ship to Ghana and headed back to the ship where we relaxed and got ready for dinner out.

We went out to a small café/restaurant where we shared an order of Mixed Paella. It came with Prawns, Squid, Mussels, Spare Rib, and more. I was brave enough to try everything in the dish but was practically breaking a sweat the whole time…especially since my prawn was staring at me (yes, it had eyes!).

Spain: Day 5

We stepped off the ship into a thunderstorm….it was down pouring outside and after walking 2 blocks in the Spanish rain with a raincoat, umbrella, and boots I was soaked! Apparently it only rains 7 times a year in Spain and we happened to catch 3 days on our trip where it did. Because of this, Spain is not prepared for rain. They do not have drain systems in their roads and the water on the roofs pours down to the sidewalks. We were running through water up to our knees.

Due to the weather and the fact I am already sick we came back to the ship for a movie day and spent the day catching up on homework that had gotten put aside during our travels.

 

Spain: Day 6

We headed out today for some shopping before we had to be back on the ship at 6pm…

Back on the ship for the right now. Next stop...Canary Islands. And I bought some of the cutest gifts today! I also bought some god awful pants to wear in Africa...they're like gauchos but full pants. Very flowy...kinda look like a skirt. Will never wear them again after Ghana probably. But they were cheap so it's okay. Maybe I'll find a use for them someday. Or I'll donate them to the shipboard drive. And I bought a cheap/super cute purse for when I get home. Overall, very nice day of shopping in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment